Simultaneous Introduction of Amazon Key for Business and Pabbit to Newly Built Condominiums in Japan for the First Time
Enabling Amazon and Three Major Home-Delivery Companies to Deliver Packages to Spaces Reserved for Home Delivery in Front of Entrances When Residents are Not Home
Scheduled to be Sequentially Introduced Starting from the Ikedayama Project (Tentative Name)
October 11, 2023
Mitsui Fudosan Residential Co., Ltd.
Tokyo, Japan, October 11, 2023 – Mitsui Fudosan Residential Co., Ltd., a leading housing company headquartered in Tokyo, announced today that it will simultaneously introduce Amazon Key for Business*1 and Pabbit, a next-generation home-delivery system, to newly built condominiums in Japan for the first time*2, and launch a service to deliver packages from Amazon and three major home-delivery companies*3 to the entrances of each unit in the Ikedayama Project (tentative name).
Mitsui Fudosan Residential has gradually introduced Pabbit to newly built condominiums starting with PARK HOMES NOBORITO STATION AVENUE which was completed in November 2022, but simultaneously introducing Pabbit alongside Amazon Key for Business will now make it possible to deliver more packages to the entrances of each unit and also help to reduce CO2 emissions by decreasing the number of redeliveries. The initiative will be sequentially deployed to condominiums newly built by Mitsui Fudosan Residential starting from the Ikedayama Project (tentative name) on which construction is set to begin November 2023.
Mitsui Fudosan Residential will continue to deliver products and services that fulfill the needs of diversifying lifestyles based on its “Life-styling x Improving with age” brand concept. At the same time, it will continue to promote the creation of neighborhoods offering safe, secure, and comfortable living and contribute toward creating a sustainable society and attaining SDGs.
Features of the Service
- Will simultaneously introduce Amazon Key for Business and Pabbit as services to enable home delivery even when residents are not home. Packages delivered by drivers consigned by Amazon (a shipping service partner) and three major home-delivery companies will be brought to the entrances of each unit.
- Specialized home delivery spaces equipped for both services will be established in front of entrances. These spaces will be designed with consideration given to the visual appeal of the shared hallways.
- Establishing specialized home delivery spaces will promote a decrease in the number of redeliveries, and also help to reduce CO2 emissions.
■Amazon Key for Business
Amazon Key for Business works by unlocking the automated lock on the door of a condominium through the delivery app only when a driver consigned by Amazon (a shipping service partner) brings the package for delivery to the condominium, enabling the item to be delivered to a location specified by the resident such as in front of the entrance. It functions by installing a dedicated device in the control panel of an automated door or common entrance unit of a condominium.
Once the driver completes the delivery, the lock unlocking authority is disabled and the driver will no longer be able to access the condominium. This service is only available in cases where a product has been designated to be left at a location and the message “Delivered by Amazon” is displayed in the shipping notification email that is transmitted after the product is purchased.
[Reference] Official website:（https://www.amazon.co.jp/b?ie=UTF8&node=8431443051&language=en_US）
Pabbit is a service in which, when a home-delivery worker is in the process of delivering a package to a condominium, and the resident is not at home, the automated lock is unlocked using the tracking number or package information, etc., granting them access, thereby making it possible to deliver packages to a locker reserved for each residential unit. Residents can unlock the specialized lockers and retrieve the package using a fixed password or dedicated app.
Pabbit, which won the GOOD DESIGN AWARD 2022, is gaining attention from the real estate and logistics industries as a solution that significantly helps to reduce the number of redeliveries.
[Reference] Official website (only in Japanese) (https://pabbit.cloud/)
１．Simultaneously introducing Amazon Key for Business and Pabbit as services to enable delivery even when residents are not home.
Simultaneously introducing Amazon Key for Business and Pabbit will make it possible for not only the three major home-delivery companies but also drivers consigned by Amazon (a shipping service partner) to deliver packages to the entrances of each residential unit.
２．A specialized home delivery space equipped for both services will be installed in front of the entrance. These spaces will be designed with consideration given to the visual appeal of the shared hallways.
A specialized delivery space will be installed in front of the entrance so that the delivered package does not obstruct walking. The spaces will be designed with consideration given to the visual appeal of the shared hallways so that the packages are not placed in a disorderly fashion.
３． Will help to reduce CO2 emissions by decreasing the number of redeliveries.
According to a survey conducted by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT), the rate of redelivery is approximately 11.8%*4, and there are 254,000 tons of CO2 emissions generated per year as a result of redeliveries*5. It is expected that introducing this service will also cut down on CO2 emissions.
■Ikedayama Project (tentative name) Property Overview
|Location||57-5 Higashi Gotanda 5-chome, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo (listed address)|
|Access||6 minutes’ walk from Gotanda Station on the Toei Asakusa Line or 8 minutes’ walk from Gotanda Station on the JR Yamanote Line
9 minutes’ walk from Gotanda Station on the Tokyu Ikegami Line or 9 minutes’ walk from Takanawadai Station on the Toei Asakusa Line
|Site area||Approx. 15,579.79 ft2 (1,447.41 m2)|
|Structure/Floors||Reinforced concrete structure, 3 floors above ground, 2 floors below|
|Start of main unit construction (planned)||November 2023|
|Sale start date||TBD|
|Completion (planned)||February 2026|
|Architect||Matsui Kensetsu K.K.|
|Contractor (planned)||Matsui Kensetsu K.K.|
- 1 Services may not be applicable due to the contents of home delivery services and delivery areas.
- 2 According to an investigation conducted by Mitsui Fudosan Residential Co., Ltd.
- 3 Refers to SAGAWA EXPRESS CO., LTD., JAPAN POST Co., Ltd., and Yamato Transport Co., Ltd. Services may not be applicable due to the contents of home delivery services and delivery areas of each delivery businesses.
and delivery areas of each delivery businesses.
- Services may not be applicable due to the contents of home delivery services and delivery areas of SAGAWA EXPRESS CO., LTD.
- Services may not be applicable due to the contents of home delivery services and delivery areas of JAPAN POST Co., Ltd.
- With regard to Yamato Transport Co., Ltd., deliveries are limited to areas where automated locks can be unlocked by linking Pabbit with Yamato Transport’s multi-digital key platform, as part of the EAZY delivery service for products purchased from the online stores of certain e-commerce businesses.
- 4 Presented by MLIT on December 9, 2022. Calculated based on the total number of deliveries and number of redeliveries by three major home-delivery companies from October 1 to October 31, 2022.
- 5 According to calculations made by MLIT in fiscal 2020.
■ Mitsui Fudosan Group’s Initiatives for SDGs
The Mitsui Fudosan Group aims for a society that enriches both people and the planet under the principles of coexist in harmony with society, link diverse values and achieve a sustainable society, and advances business with an awareness of the environment (E), society (S) and governance (G), thus promoting ESG management. By further accelerating its ESG management, the Group will realize Society 5.0, which the Japanese government has been advocating, and contribute significantly to achieving the SDGs. Additionally, the Group formulated the following Group guidelines related to “Realize a Decarbonized Society” and “Diversity & Inclusion Promotion” in November 2021, and “Biodiversity” in March 2023. The Mitsui Fudosan Group will continue to work toward solving social issues through neighborhood creation.
・Group Action Plan to Realize a Decarbonized Society
・Formulated Diversity and Inclusion Promotion Declaration and Initiatives Policy
・Mitsui Fudosan Group Biodiversity Policy
■ About Mitsui Fudosan Residential’s Carbon Neutral Design Promotion Plan
https://www.mfr.co.jp/content/dam/mfrcojp/company/news/2022/0315_01.pdf (only in Japanese)
Initiatives include saving energy by improving the performance and durability of homes and promoting the introduction of renewable energy as well as provision of services that enable residents to enjoy contributing to the environment through energy conservation and other activities after moving into this condominium. In this way, the Company aims to realize carbon neutrality in both homes and living.
* The initiatives covered in this press release are contributing to two of the UN’s SDGs.
|Goal 11||Sustainable Cities and Communities|
|Goal 13||Climate Action|