Launch of THE CELESTINE HOTELS, the Mitsui Fudosan Group’s New Hotel Brand
A Destination-style Hotel Where the Hotel Stay Itself Becomes a Purpose of Travel
HOTEL THE CELESTINE KYOTO GION to Open on Thursday, September 7, 2017
HOTEL THE CELESTINE GINZA to Open on Thursday, October 5, 2017
February 3, 2017
Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd.
Mitsui Fudosan Hotel Management Co., Ltd.
Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd., a leading global real estate company headquartered in Tokyo, and Mitsui Fudosan Hotel Management Co., Ltd. announced today that the two companies have developed a new hotel brand called THE CELESTINE HOTELS, and have decided to open HOTEL THE CELESTINE KYOTO GION, the first hotel in the series, on Thursday, September 7, 2017, followed by the opening of HOTEL THE CELESTINE GINZA on Thursday, October 5, 2017.
THE CELESTINE HOTELS, which the Mitsui Fudosan Group will develop and manage, will aim to be a destination-style hotel where the hotel stay itself becomes a purpose of travel. The Mitsui Fudosan Group will start accepting reservations for overnight stays at both the newly opening KYOTO GION and GINZA hotels from Friday, February 3, 2017.
Features of the New Hotel Brand and Each Hotel
The New Hotel Brand: THE CELESTINE HOTELS
- In locations with superior tourism assets and a deep cultural and historical sensibility embodying the local community, THE CELESTINE HOTELS will practice Japan’s unique, thoughtful approach to hospitality, relaxing spaces that evoke the feeling of a second private residence, and accommodation experiences that capture the essence of the locality like no other.
HOTEL THE CELESTINE KYOTO GION
- Situated in a charming and quiet location facing Yasaka Dori Avenue in the Higashiyama area of Kyoto, the hotel is close to Gion, Kiyomizu-dera Temple, Kamo River, and other attractions.
- The hotel is designed based on a modern reinterpretation of traditional Japanese themes and Kyoto scenery with concept rooms named “Higashiyama” and “Yasaka.”
HOTEL THE CELESTINE GINZA
- Despite facing the main street of Ginza, and in contrast with the bustling city, the hotel offers highly private, elegant accommodation spaces.
- The Casita restaurants, which aspire to provide restaurants that offer personal warmth, will open a location for the first time in Ginza on the top floor of the hotel.
Exterior of HOTEL THE CELESTINE KYOTO GION
Exterior of HOTEL THE CELESTINE GINZA
1. Background to the development of the new hotel brand
The Mitsui Fudosan Group has embraced “Creating New Destinations” as its mission statement for the hotel and resort business. Guided by this statement, the Group is pushing ahead with plans to expand the Group’s hotel operations to 10,000 guest rooms by fiscal 2020, the year ending March 31, 2021 by accelerating business promotion and upgrading and expanding business fields.
Meanwhile, the Group’s hotel business has so far focused primarily on the luxury segment (i.e., by attracting renowned foreign hotel brands) and the upper-middle segment (Mitsui Garden Hotels, etc.). However, in light of current conditions in the hotel market and changing customer awareness, the Group will roll out a new hotel brand in the high-class segment. The Group’s vision for THE CELESTINE HOTELS, the new hotel brand, will be to practice Japan’s unique, thoughtful yet subtle approach to hospitality, while respecting and preserving the culture and history of local communities. Although THE CELESTINE HOTELS will be a lodging-focused hotel, the new hotel brand will aspire to become a destination hotel akin to a resort, where the hotel stay itself becomes the purpose of travel.
(2)Origins of the brand
The new hotel brand THE CELESTINE HOTELS can trace its origins to the Celestine Hotel, which is currently located in the Shiba area of Tokyo. Leveraging the characteristics of the site, which is situated on the former premises of the kami-yashiki (upper residence) of the Satsuma domain in Edo, the Celestine Hotel has endeared itself to many regular guests by providing elegant, private accommodations with the finest guest services. By keeping this spirit alive as the concept of the new hotel brand, the Group will create new brand value that addresses changes in customer needs and the hotel market.
* The Celestine Hotel is scheduled to undergo major renovations and be rebranded and reopened in autumn 2017 with a new look as HOTEL THE CELESTINE TOKYO SHIBA (provisional).
2. Brand concept
THE CELESTINE HOTELS brand seeks to be a destination hotel where the hotel stay itself becomes the purpose of travel. As such, the following three brand concepts will be pursued:
(1) Local Experience - “Sharing the Experiences of Each Locality in Japan”
Provide an elegant design that respects and embraces the local community as well as numerous varied accommodation experiences that capture the essence of the locality, in locations with superior tourism assets and a deep cultural and historical sensibility embodying the local community.
(2) Private Style - “A Place to Return to, in Order to Spend Time Exactly as You Wish.”
Create private spaces on a comfortable scale where guests can relax as if the hotel were their own second private residence.
(3) Personalized Hospitality - “There Are as Many Approaches as there are Guests”
Practice Japan’s unique, thoughtful yet subtle approach to hospitality by remaining closely attuned to the perspectives and preferences of each guest.
3. Brand names
|Name of hotel chain
|THE CELESTINE HOTELS
|Name of hotels
|HOTEL THE CELESTINE KYOTO GION
HOTEL THE CELESTINE GINZA
4. Brand logo
The brand logo of the new hotel converts the letter “C” in THE CELESTINE HOTELS into a symbol designed based on the motifs of a traditional Japanese round window and an intricate kumiko woodworking pattern. The brand concepts of “local experience” and “private style” are expressed by combining a round window framing the passage of the seasons - a feature typically found in Japanese tea houses and homes - with the beauty of traditional craftsmanship. In addition, the brand logo’s warm color expresses the brand concept of “personalized hospitality.”
5. Service policy
THE CELESTINE HOTELS aims to provide services with the finest attention to detail to ensure that guests are able to relax and spend time at the hotel as it were their own second private residence.
- Provide time, spaces, and experiences so that guests are able to enjoy the attractions of the locality and town.
- Provide time, spaces and relaxation so that guests are able to spend time at the hotel exactly as they wish.
At THE CELESTINE HOTELS, all staff members will be able to perform guest services such as welcoming, check-in, room escort, check-out, and farewell as one “guest escort team,” instead of assigning these duties to different specialist departments. To increase interactions with guests, one hotel staff member will provide check-in and room escort services for each party of guests. This will enable staff members to detect and address the needs of guests by better engaging in casual conversations with them. In the process, THE CELESTINE HOTELS will provide personalized hospitality to every guest throughout their stay.
6. Future Plans
|HOTEL THE CELESTINE KYOTO GION
|Thursday, September 7, 2017
|HOTEL THE CELESTINE GINZA
|Thursday, October 5, 2017
|HOTEL THE CELESTINE TOKYO SHIBA (Provisional)
|Rebranding and reopening in autumn 2017
* Details are scheduled to be announced in spring 2017