One of Japan’s Biggest Large-scale, Mixed-use Facilities
EXPOCITY Grand Opening on November 19
LaLaport EXPOCITY has 8 Large-scale Entertainment Facilities and 305 Stores
August 3, 2015
Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd.
Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd. will open EXPOCITY, one of Japan's biggest large-scale, mixed-use complexes, located in the Expo '70 Commemorative Park in Suita City, Osaka Prefecture, on Thursday, November 19, 2015.
EXPOCITY is located on a site spread out over approximately 172,000 m2 in front of Bampaku-kinen-koen Station on the Osaka Monorail close to central Osaka, and is a large-scale, mixed-use complex fusing entertainment and shopping centered around Mitsui Shopping Park LaLaport EXPOCITY with eight large-scale entertainment facilities and 305 stores.
This facility presents unprecedented experiences and emotions with eight entertainment facilities including a museum, cinema complex and edutainment facility integrating education and entertainment all under the theme of “fusing the enjoyment of ‘playing, learning, and discovering.’” LaLaport EXPOCITY will also assemble entertaining restaurants and interactive stores providing an extraordinary excitement and thrills never experienced before, while gathering shops ranging from the highly fashionable to those offering daily sundries to realize an elegant lifestyle.
* The logo is in the motif of the facility’s shape.
Bird’s eye view of EXPOCITY
SORA Plaza is a large-scale outdoor plaza with a diameter exceeding 60 meters
HIKARI Plaza is a huge open-roof atrium in the center of LaLaport EXPOCITY, equipped with an event stage
What is EXPOCITY?
In 1970, the 45th year of the Showa period, Japan held Expo ’70, the first World Exposition in Asia, in Expo ’70 Commemorative Park under the theme of “Progress and Harmony for Mankind.”
45 years later, EXPOCITY is born anew.
Through the accumulation and fusion of entertainment and shopping, the area that held Expo ’70 will create a new community through a facility seeking to recall the enthusiasm and bustle experienced 45 years earlier.
The complex aims to become a world-class Japanese landmark that will attract people not only from the Kansai area, but the rest of Japan and throughout the world as a large-scale, mixed-use facility for people of all generations to spend an enjoyable time and a place for people to gather and interact.
Eight Large-scale Entertainment Facilities
- NIFREL, a “living” museum and the first project conceptualized by the Osaka Aquarium KAIYUKAN
- OSAKA ENGLISH VILLAGE, Japan’s first interactive English education facility
- Pokémon Expo Gym (Pokémon Exposium), an interactive “edutainment” facility
- Orbi Osaka*1, a nature-oriented interactive entertainment facility
Official shop and restaurant, Oriental Spoon
- ENTERTAINMENT FIELD, an interactive amusement park with Shaun the Sheep
- 109 Cinemas Osaka EXPOCITY, a cutting-edge cinema complex
- ANIPO, a mobile amusement park for animals
- Osaka Wheel (tentative name), Japan’s largest Ferris wheel*2
Official shop and restaurant REDHORSE MARUMIE PLAZA
*1 Orbi Osaka is scheduled to start operating in early 2016.
The official shop and restaurant Oriental Spoon will start operating from November 19, 2015.
*2 The OSAKA WHEEL (tentative name) is scheduled to start operating in spring 2016.
The official shop and restaurant, REDHORSE MARUMIE PLAZA will start operating from November 19, 2015.
EXPOCITY Facility Map
Mitsui Shopping Park LaLaport EXPOCITY
LaLaport EXPOCITY offers the following features for shopping entertainment.
- First-ever Kansai area openings for 47 stores
- A succession of stores adopting new business styles emanating from EXPOCITY
- Famous characters from within and outside of Japan appearing one after another! Development of a Character Zone.
- Entertainment while shopping! Large-scale shops are full of interactive content
- Entertainment with dining, too! EXPO KITCHEN, the external restaurant building
- Assembly of gourmet dining from around the world in the three-story food court FOOD PAVILION
To make EXPOCITY an even more attractive facility, the following initiatives have been undertaken.
- Establishment of Inforest Suita, the City of Suita’s information communication plaza
- Installation of an information communication system utilizing the EXPOCITY dedicated TV channel and large touch displays for navigating around the facility
- Information desk attendants in uniforms reminiscent of those worn by staff at the Mitsui Group Pavilion during EXPO ’70.
- Support for inbound tourism
Overview of EXPOCITY
|2-1 Senri Banpakukoen, Suita City, Osaka Prefecture
|Steel structure with 1-3 floors above ground and 1-2 floors fully or partly below ground
Multistory parking lot: Steel structure with 3 floors (rooftop parking), 3 towers
|Gross floor area
|Approx. 223,000 m2
|Store floor space (LaLaport EXPOCITY)
|No. of Facilities and Stores
|A two-minute walk from Bampaku-kinen-koen Station, Osaka Monorail
|Start of construction: July 17, 2014
Opening: November 19, 2015
|OHTORI CONSULTANTS environment design institute
|Design and construction
|Joint project between Takenaka Corporation and Takenaka Civil Engineering & Construction Co., Ltd.
|Operation and management
|Mitsui Fudosan Retail Management Co., Ltd.
|http://www.expocity-mf.com/ (Japanese only)
Aerial photo (as of July 25, 2015)
Photo courtesy of SS Osaka Co., Ltd.