Entering the Japanese market for the first time, the eslite spectrum from Taiwan to be
main tenant for COREDO Muromachi Terrace retail facility, which will have
its grand opening in fall of 2019 at Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui Tower in
the A Zone of Nihonbashi Muromachi 3rd District Project
October 15, 2018
Nihonbashi Muromachi 3rd District Project Association
Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd.
Tokyo, Japan, October 15, 2018 - The Nihonbashi Muromachi 3rd District Project Association and Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd. (the Company), a leading global real estate company headquartered in Tokyo, announce that they have decided on the tentative name of Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui Tower for the building currently under construction in the A Zone of the Nihonbashi Muromachi 3rd District Project (Nihonbashi 3-chome, in Tokyo's Chuo Ward) and that the COREDO Muromachi Terrace retail facility will have its grand opening in the fall of 2019.
Summary of This Press Release
- Name of building, Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui Tower, decided
- COREDO Muromachi Terrace retail facility, which will bring together approximately 30 stores, to have its grand opening in fall of 2019
- Entering the Japanese market for the first time, the eslite spectrum from Taiwan decided as main tenant for COREDO Muromachi Terrace
- Office building leasing proceeding smoothly as a result of improving the area's appeal and proposals for a comfortable business life
- TRI-AD (a new company developing autonomous driving software for the Toyota Group*) to move in as key tenant -
Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui Tower is the latest large-scale complex building that will become an information dissemination base for the Nihonbashi area under the Nihonbashi Revitalization Plan, in which the Company is engaged. The Plan features state-of-the-art office space, halls and conference facilities that can be used for a variety of purposes, and an area supply-type energy plant that includes the first city block that ever existed in Japan. Also provided are retail facilities that will breathe new life and prosperity into Nihonbashi as well as a large outdoor plaza with an extensive roof and landscapes rich in greenery to provide liveliness and further enhance the appeal of the Nihonbashi area. On the office building floors, TRI-AD (a new company developing autonomous driving software for the Toyota Group) and other spearheading companies that lead the world in various industries are deciding to move in as tenants. The Company is attracting a wide variety of people to Nihonbashi and working to create a part of the city with a high degree of diversity.
The Company will also be welcoming the eslite spectrum company from Taiwan as the main tenant to the lower floors of the COREDO Muromachi Terrace retail facility, which will comprise around 30 stores, and has decided on the fall of 2019 for its grand opening. The “eslite spectrum nihonbashi”store will the first in Japan managed by the eslite spectrum, which was chosen among the “14 Coolest Department Stores in the World”and as “Asia's best bookshop” *2. With a sensibility for concepts that is unique to the eslite spectrum, “Books, and Everything in Between.”will bring together the history of Nihonbashi and a culture that has been coming into people's lives. As a “life and creative culture wonderland” from Taiwan, the eslite spectrum nihonbashi store will serve as a platform for disseminating creative new lifestyles.
*1 The official name of TRI-AD is Toyota Research Institute-Advanced Development, Inc.
*2 The “eslite spectrum songyan”store was selected in the “14 Coolest Department Stores in the World” by CNN in the United States 2016, and the Eslite Bookstore Suzhou as the “Best Bookstore in Asia”in the Asian edition of Time magazine in 2004.
Perspective drawing of exterior of Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui Tower
Perspective drawing of plaza with its extensive roof
Perspective drawing of store interior of COREDO Muromachi Terrace
■Concerning Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui Tower
As the starting point of five roads connecting various parts of Japan, Nihonbashi has since the Edo era (1603 - 1868) always been overflowing with people's exuberance and prospering as a town where various people, goods and things have gathered from both inside and outside Japan. Even now, Nihonbashi is continuing to grow and develop as a town at a “starting point.”
At Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui Tower, which is being newly brought to life in the Nihonbashi area, the Company will attract the companies that drive Japan and the bases of global companies while acting as a prime mover behind efforts playing a part in enhancing Tokyo's international competitiveness. In addition, at the COREDO Muromachi Terrace retail facility, the Company will bring together world-class tenants from home and abroad and propose a new “Nihonbashi style”to be unveiled to the world while retaining Japanese tradition.
Main Features of Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui Tower
1.A large-scale redevelopment with mixed-use building and gross floor area of about 168,000m2, comprising offices, retail facilities and halls
- The Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui Tower project is a large-scale redevelopment located on an 11,480m2 site with a gross floor area of 168,000m2, 26 floors above ground and three floors below ground.
- The project will comprise of areas for multiple uses. Offices will occupy floors 5-25 (with office lobbies on the fifth and sixth floors), the third floor will be a hall and conference venue, the second floor down to the first basement floor will house retail facilities, and there will be a large outdoor plaza at street level.
- On the first basement floor, an underground walkway will link directly with Mitsukoshimae Station on the Tokyo Metro Ginza and Hanzomon lines as well as Shin-Nihonbashi Station on the JR Sobu line rapid service.
- In a society where diversification in making inroads, Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui Tower will propose a variety of working styles for office workers. The office space will cover a standard occupied area of about 4,300m2, achieving central Tokyo's largest floor plate and enabling layouts for efficient workplaces.
- Covering approximately 6,000 m2, the COREDO Muromachi Terrace retail facility on the first basement floor to the second above-ground floor will bring together around 30 stores from Japan and overseas, including some first openings in Japan, attract a diverse range of customers and create a buzz.
- Providing a main hall of approximately 375m2 (and a separate foyer of approximately 200m2) and three conference rooms, the 3rd floor hall and conference facilities will cooperate with the Nihonbashi Mitsui Hall (5F, COREDO Muromachi 1, 2-2-1 Nihonbashi Muromachi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo) in COREDO Muromachi 1 already operating in the Nihonbashi area, further enhancing the various exchange functions of the Nihonbashi area.
Click illustration to enlarge
Perspective drawing of third floor hall
Perspective drawing of office building lobby
on floors 5 and 6
■Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui
2.Offering unprecedented levels of safety and security and a Business Continuity Plan (BCP) wth the installation of an energy plant, the first of its kind in Japan, which will supply power and heat to the surrounding area, and the installation of the latest seismic structural control system
- In the first initiative of its kind in Japan, this project involves the installation of an energy plant that will provide electricity and heat not only within the development area but also to parts of the surrounding area, including retail facilities and offices.
- The energy plant is powered by gas, which is highly reliable at times of disaster and can thus facilitate the building's BCP electricity supply during emergencies. By securing a high-performance disaster response that takes into account safety and security, the project aligns with the Urban Smart City Strategy for Nihonbashi.
- The Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui Tower project involves the installation of HiDAX-R, the latest high-performance structural control oil damper developed by Kajima Corporation. This device can cover a major earthquake up to magnitude 7 on the Japanese seismic scale and is highly effective for locations with a high frequency of earthquakes up to magnitudes 4 and 5 plus as well as over long periods of seismic activity. In the event of an earthquake equivalent to the Great East Japan Earthquake of 2011, the equipment used in this project will, in comparison with ordinary seismic structural control devices, reduce the amplitude by about half and the length of time before the building stops shaking after an earthquake has subsided by around one-tenth, thereby contributing to the safety and security of facility users.
3.Plaza with landscapes rich in greenery to provide warmth and liveliness
- At the street level of the Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui Tower project, a large-scale, outdoor plaza (about 1,500 m2) featuring an extensive roof will be created with landscapes rich in greenery to provide warmth and liveliness.
- In the event of a disaster, the plan is to utilize the plaza to meet demand from those people who are unable to return home, such as by fulfilling a role as a station providing disaster-related information and assisting in the distribution of food.
Perspective drawing of plaza with extensive roof
4.An exterior designed by Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects to express a harmonization of diversity and progress
- The design architects for this project will be Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects, the firm that designed the Nihonbashi Mitsui Tower, and they will create a cityscape of tradition and innovation expanding the area's bounds and with harmony and diversity in Nihonbashi through an exterior design that will link the modern with the future.
■The Office Building Floors
Under the slogan “Beyond the Office,”the office floor of the Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui Tower goes beyond conventional office building concepts, and will generate new added value and provide a base for all companies that drive Japan and the world. The Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui Tower project will propose diverse work styles for office workers in a society where diversity is advancing. In the common space the Company will set up “mot. Mitsui Office for Tomorrow” a number of membership-based facilities and services for tenant companies that was introduced at the Nihonbashi Takashimaya Mitsui Building completed in June 2018?and provide work environments that office workers will find more conducive to work.
Major companies that have decided to move into the office building floors include Toyota Research Institute-Advanced Development, Inc. (TRI-AD), The Hokuriku Bank, Ltd., The Hokkaido Bank, Ltd., Tanacho & Co., Ltd., Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd., and Mitsui Fudosan Residential Co., Ltd.
■COREDO Muromachi Terrace
Promotion of Nihonbashi Revitalization Plan
Working with local communities and private interests in the Nihonbashi area, the Company is promoting the Nihonbashi Revitalization Plan. Under the first stage of the Plan, which began with the start of the COREDO Nihonbashi and Nihonbashi Mitsui Tower developments, the Company promoted the development of mixed-use properties, of the kind represented by COREDO Muromachi 1, where retail facilities and offices are integrated. Taking advantage of the opportunity presented by the COREDO Muromachi 2 and 3, the second stage of the Plan was announced. Based on four key phrases?industry creation, neighborhood creation, community cohesion and renewal of aqua metropolis?the Company is aiming to create towns by fusing soft and hard elements, and currently the second stage is still in progress.
Click map to enlarge
COREDO Muromachi Terrace Concept
A Place to Enjoy and Spend Valuable Times
Enabling people to spend “valuable times”at Nihonbashi, which is steeped in history and tradition, is COREDO Muromachi Terrace. Through empathy for the stories behind the things and ideas lining the COREDO Muromachi Terrace and feeling their essence, visitors will gather, have fun and relax while being provided with new experiences. Out of such valuable times, Mitsui Fudosan will create new enjoyments and interactions while disseminating new culture.
In the Nihonbashi area, where the number of visitors is increasing?due not only to the population increase brought about by office workers and the redevelopment of Tokyo's Chuo Ward but also due to the development of COREDO Muromachi 1, 2, and 3 from 2010 to 2014?it is COREDO Muromachi Terrace that is being created to generate yet more hustle and bustle. The facility will provide “valuable times”to people in a wide range of demographic groupings, including office workers, families and couples, primarily in the core target 30s to 40s age range.
With regard to store composition, COREDO Muromachi Terrace has prepared a store lineup that will offer first-class food from Japan and overseas and things that show attention to detail, including the eslite spectrum's nihonbashi store, the eslite spectrum's first entry into the Japanese market. On the first underground floor, the facility will cluster together an abundant variety of eating places that emphasize the sense of being there. At the street level, directly accessible from the lively happenings on the plaza with the extensive roof, a commercial space will be created for gatherings and relaxation. Also, as the main tenant, the eslite spectrum nihonbashi store will utilize all of the second floor (2,870 m2) and will serve as the base for disseminating Nihonbashi's new culture. For the plaza with its extensive roof bedecked in green, the entire Nihonbashi area will work on plans designed to attract customers, for example through collaborative events with tenants.
|Name of facility
|COREDO Muromachi Terrace
|Date opening for business
|In fall of 2019
|Number of tenants
|Approx. 30 stores planned
|Retail floor area
The Origin of the COREDO Name
COREDO is a coined word that connects the English word CORE with EDO, the old Japanese name for Tokyo. The starting point of five roads, Nihonbashi is an area steeped in history and tradition that had flourished as the commercial center of Edo (Tokyo). COREDO embodies the desire that, starting from there, the new Nihonbashi will form Tokyo's commercial core.
■About the eslite spectrum nihonbashi Store
Creative and Life Culture Wonderland eslite spectrum nihonbashi
With a sensibility for concepts that is unique to the eslite spectrum, “Books, and Everything in Between.”will bring together the history of Nihonbashi and a culture that has been coming into people's lives. As a “life and creative culture wonderland”from Taiwan, the eslite spectrum nihonbashi store will serve as a platform for disseminating creative new lifestyles.
The floors comprise a book zone, a stationery/miscellaneous goods zone, a lifestyle hands-on experience merchandising/workshop zone as well as a restaurant and food sales zone.
Click map to enlarge
Perspective drawing of the Stationery/Miscellaneous Goods Zone
Perspective drawing of the Restaurant/Food Sales Zone
General view of an eslite spectrum workshop
What Type of Company Is the eslite spectrum?
The elite spectrum Corporation) leverages the features and cultures of various places while working to create stores that place a high value on their local city and on interactions with people. Including eslite bookstores and eslite spectrum stores, the company has deployed 46 stores, From its beginnings in Taiwan, the company has deployed a total of 46 stores, including eslite bookstores and eslite spectrum stores, to other countries and regions, such as to Hong Kong and to Suzhou, China. Not only operating eslite bookstores and eslite spectrum stores, the company manages places in which to share diverse culture and content, such as galleries, performance halls, movie theaters and wine cellars, while also engaging in the restaurant business and hotel industry. Having, for example, been chosen among the “14 Coolest Department Stores in the World, ” the eslite spectrum stores are extremely highly rated overseas. Of the store openings, the eslite spectrum nihonbashi will be the first in Japan.
The special features of the eslite spectrum stores are their interior spaces that convey the charm of books to customers to the fullest extent, the brand connoisseurs in the tenant mix who have a particular affinity for books, and the extreme efforts they place on incubation (the discovery and development of new talent).
The biggest feature is the development of various hands-on experience events that mobilize more than 200 million people every year. Together with artists, the company is constantly proposing new culture by devising exhibitions and performances that can only be experienced through eslite spectrum stores and holding them via all their stores more than 5,000 times each year.
the eslite spectrum Xinyi store
Eslite Bookstore Suzhou
Eslite Chronology of Events
|Eslite founded by Robert Wu Ching-yu. First store, Eslite Bookstore Dunnan, opens in Taipei.
|24-hour sales model launched, Eslite Bookstore Dunnan store becomes world's first “bookstore that never sleeps.”
|Expands stores into medical service facilities, opens store inside National Taiwan University Hospital
|Eslite Bookstore Dunnan store chosen as “Best Bookstore in Asia”(in the Asian edition of Time magazine).
|the eslite spectrum Xinyi store opens, becomes largest comprehensive flagship store in Taiwan.
|The elite spectrum Corporation established.
|The “eslite spectrum songyan”store opens. A comprehensive store with cultural content that for the first time links and manages halls, movie theaters and creative performances.
|“eslite hotel”opens. Develops business spanning different industries.
The “eslite spectrum suzhou”store opens.
|The “eslite spectrum songyan”store chosen as one of the “14 Coolest Department Stores in the world,”becoming the only brand with a Chinese founder to win this award (CNN in the United States).
The “eslite spectrum taigu (Hong Kong)”store opens.
the eslite spectrum MF Co., Ltd.
A joint venture company between Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd. and eslite Corporation, the eslite spectrum MF Co., Ltd. will be the license-holding company for elite spectrum in Japan.
Yurindo Co., Ltd., which manages culturally rich stores that are not restricted by the framework of a bookstore, such as Hibiya Central Market (inside Tokyo Midtown Hibiya), will operate the eslite spectrum nihonbashi store as its licensee.
In retail facility management, Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd. has been attracting many overseas brands, but this represents the first time for the Company to jointly maintain an equity interest in a license-holding company.
■First Basement Level/Street Level - Floors for People to Gather and Relax
Bring together around 30 stores, including fastidious restaurants and
high-quality miscellaneous goods stores
On the first basement level and street level floor, around 30 stores will be opening. These will include stores opening for the first time in Japan, stores featuring new business styles, and stores opening for the first time in a shopping center (SC). On the street level floor, where the emphasis is on maintaining harmony with the plaza where an extensive roof has been placed on the front of the building, high-quality stores are clustered. Appropriate for the vestibule of the COREDO Muromachi Terrace, these stores range from casual cafe dining establishments to shops offering items of rare beauty in which the traditional techniques shine through. Directly linked to the subway concourse, the first basement floor is lined with restaurants committed to catering to the relaxing time in the morning or to bringing color to the store in the evening time.
Perspective drawing of street level floor
Perspective drawing of first basement level
Perspective drawing of concourse on first basement level
Overview of the Nihonbashi Muromachi 3rd District Project
|Nihonbashi Muromachi 3rd District Project
|Nihonbashi Muromachi 3rd District Project Association
(Chair: Hiroshi Tanaka, President, Tanacho & Co., Ltd.)
|Zone land area
|Approximately 2.1 hectares
|(A Zone) Muromachi 3-chome, Nihonbashi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo
(B Zone) Hongokucho 4-chome, Nihonbashi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo
|(A Zone): 11,480m2
(B Zone): 1,390m2
|(A Zone) Offices, retail facilities, parking, etc.
(B Zone) Public facilities and parking
|Completion at end of March 2019 (planned)
Overview of Nihonbashi Muromachi Tower (A Zone)
|Direct access from Mitsukoshimae Station on the Tokyo Metro Ginza and Hanzomon lines
Direct access from Shin-Nihonbashi Station on the JR Yokosuka and Sobu lines
Four minutes' walk from Kanda Station on the JR Chuo, Yamanote and Keihin-Tohoku lines
Nine minutes' walk from Tokyo Station, which is on many JR lines
|Gross floor area
|26 floors above ground, 3 floors below ground;
approximately 142 m high
|Design Basic design
|NIHON SEKKEI, INC.
KAJIMA DESIGN (Kajima Corporation)
Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects
Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects Japan
Landscape Plus Ltd.
Uchihara Creative Lighting Design Inc.
|Joint venture between Kajima Corporation, Shimizu Corporation and
Sato Kogyo Co., Ltd.
Map showing location