Mitsui Fudosan and KDDI Sign Basic Agreement Aiming for Office DX Using 5G
Starting Initiatives to Provide Office Solutions Promoting Resolutions to
Office Building Issues and Work Style Reforms
May 19, 2020
Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd.
Tokyo, Japan, May 19, 2020—Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd., a leading global real estate company headquartered in Tokyo, and KDDI CORPORATION concluded a basic agreement in April 2020 aiming at the digital transformation (DX) of offices using KDDI’s fifth-generation mobile communication system (5G). Going forward, the companies will start initiatives to provide office solutions promoting resolutions to office building issues and work style reforms (hereinafter, “the Project”).
The Project will start with testing and verification conducted at KDDI’s head office and KDDI DIGITAL GATE*1, and move on to building a 5G network environment at Mitsui Office in Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui Tower by April 2021.
Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui Tower
Office solutions examples
5G features high speeds, high capacity, low latency and simultaneous connections, and can stably perform highly precise, large-capacity data communications, meeting office building requirements for real-time transmissions and stability. Moreover, from the perspective of BCP following the impact of COVID-19, requirements for working remotely (working styles using ICT regardless of place or time) are now greater than ever, and using information communications technology such as 5G enables promoting flexible working styles for office users combined with remote work.
The two companies will fuse Mitsui Fudosan’s “locations and opportunities” and KDDI’s “technological base” to build solutions like interactive, virtual teleconferences and comfortable remote work using 5G to promote the DX of office buildings. Furthermore, employees of the two companies and users of Mitsui Office will have an environment where they will actually be able to use 5G, with the aim of creating a new business model with even greater added value as it will be created through new work styles while incorporating the opinions of those actually using it.
■Office solutions using 5G (planned)
- Building comfortable remote working environments using 5G terminals
- Latest online teleconference system
- Interactive, virtual teleconference system
- Telepresentation system*2
■Bases to install 5G, conduct testing and verification
- 11F Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui Tower (Mitsui Fudosan office space)
- 5F Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui Tower (inside mot.*3, a members’ facility for tenants)
- 10F Nihonbashi Takashimaya Mitsui Building (inside mot., a members’ facility for tenants)
- Garden Air Tower (KDDI head office)
- Toranomon Twin Building (inside KDDI DIGITAL GATE)
Notes: 1. KDDI’s 5G business development base, supporting customers’ DX
2. A technology that allows somebody in a distant place to appear as though they are in the same location as the user (e.g., live lecture transmissions)
3. Abbreviation of Mitsui Office for Tomorrow
■References: 5G initiatives being conducted by both companies, but not related to the Project
Mitsui Fudosan and KDDI are moving forward on the following initiatives:
(1) Started the Shibuya 5G Entertainment Project in which 32 companies are taking part including TOKYU CORPORATION, PARCO CO., LTD. and BAYCREW’S CO., LTD.
(KDDI press release, January 24, 2020)
On January 24, 2020, KDDI started the Shibuya 5G Entertainment Project in which 32 companies and organizations, including Mitsui Fudosan, aiming to contribute to creative cultural urban projects using 5G being promoted by Shibuya Ward.
(2) Newly started 5G for Startups, a business support program for new ventures, and Mugen no Tsubasa, a joint business creation program
(KDDI press release, March 24, 2020)
On March 24, 2020, KDDI held MUGENLABO DAY 2020. Mitsui Fudosan sought applications for open innovation under the theme of “greater efficiency in operating retail facilities and creating new customer experiences” as part of the Mugen no Tsubasa joint business creation program, aiming for startups and major companies to jointly create business. It announced the adoption of an unmanned security robot provided by SEQSENSE Inc.
■Mitsui Fudosan Group’s contribution to SDGs
The Mitsui Fudosan Group aims for a society that enriches both people and the planet under the principles of coexist in harmony with society, link diverse values and achieve a sustainable society, and advances business with an awareness of the environment (E), society (S) and governance (G), thus promoting ESG management. By further accelerating its ESG management, the Group will realize Society 5.0, which the Japanese government has been advocating, and contribute significantly to achieving the SDGs.
*The initiatives covered in this press release are contributing to three of the UN's SDGs.
|Decent Work and Economic Growth
|Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
|Sustainable Cities and Communities