Enhancing Program Operations Across Industries
Sus-Katsu Summer 2023 Campaign to Begin on June 23
Realizing decarbonization initiatives through engaging experiences while having fun
June 23, 2023
Mitsui Fudosan Residential Co., Ltd.
TEPCO Energy Partner, Incorporated
Familynet Japan Corporation
Tokyo Gas Co., Ltd.
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Tokyo, Japan, June 23, 2023 - Mitsui Fudosan Residential Co., Ltd., a leading housing company headquartered in Tokyo, announced today that Tokyo Gas Co., Ltd. and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation have been added to operations of the Sustainable Living Program*1 (the “Sus-Katsu Program”), which was launched by Mitsui Fudosan Residential Co., Ltd., TEPCO Energy Partner, Incorporated, and Familynet Japan Corporation on December 1, 2022, for the purpose of enjoyably engaging in sustainable decarbonization initiatives while enriching people’s daily lives. Tokyo Gas will provide support that entails creating a list of gas-related decarbonization initiatives for homes and lifestyles, and also entails developing a system for visually depicting CO2 emission and reduction volumes based on gas consumption per dwelling, for use in Mitsui Fudosan Residential’s newly constructed condominium properties*2. Meanwhile, Sumitomo Mitsui Banking will enlist its expertise in serving as a member of its comprehensive financial group, thereby contributing to the Sus-Katsu Program through overall support that includes co-creation of operations involving decarbonization in conjunction with partner companies that will provide rewards
Beginning on June 23, 2023, the five companies will carry out the Sus-Katsu Summer 2023 campaign as the second campaign of the Sus-Katsu Program. This has involved preparation of the Sus-Katsu List containing decarbonization initiatives that people can implement at home, based on which a drawing will be held to offer rewards to those who have submitted an application and implemented the listed decarbonization initiatives during the campaign. The Sus-Katsu Summer 2023 campaign will entail recommending comprehensive decarbonization initiatives, including the gas-related decarbonization initiatives presented in the Sus-Katsu List of the first campaign. When it comes to incentives for bolstering decarbonization initiatives under Sus-Katsu Summer 2023, Mitsui Fudosan Residential will provide even more attractive rewards and experiences than before, enlisting the participation of Shiki Theatre Company, ANA Akindo, and Tokyo Dome Hotel, in addition to TOKYO UNITE*3, which was well received in the previous campaign.
Moreover, Mitsui Fudosan Residential will hold Sus-Katsu Festival events aimed at encouraging involvement in the Sus-Katsu Summer 2023 campaign, premised on the importance it ascribes to urging customers living in the approximately 240,000 units*4 it has sold so far to take part in the decarbonization initiatives. Mitsui Fudosan Residential will hold these events to encourage decarbonization featuring a combination of food and entertainment in order to promote decarbonization initiatives that are readily accessible to residents, given that the events are to be held in vicinities of designated condominiums and community centers within the condominiums.
Going forward, Mitsui Fudosan Residential will develop more expansive decarbonization initiatives relevant to homes and lifestyles in coming up with appealing activities for the Sus-Katsu Program, thereby helping to achieve a low-carbon society with its sights set on a future of residential and lifestyle abundance.
Key Points of this Release
- Mitsui Fudosan Residential will facilitate lifestyle-related decarbonization initiatives by bringing in more Sus-Katsu Program partners and enlisting a framework for Sus-Katsu Program operations transcending industries.
- Sus-Katsu Summer 2023 will be held as the second campaign of the Sustainable Living Program. This will entail offering participants attractive rewards and experiences enlisting various partners that include TOKYO UNITE, Shiki Theatre Company, ANA Akindo, and Tokyo Dome Hotel.
- Sus-Katsu Festival events will be concurrently held to promote decarbonization initiatives with respect to those living in its existing properties.
１．Mitsui Fudosan Residential will facilitate lifestyle-related decarbonization initiatives by bringing in more Sus-Katsu Program partners and enlisting a framework for Sus-Katsu Program operations transcending industries.
The notion of achieving a low-carbon society obviously calls for business operators to reduce their CO2 emissions. Moreover, initiatives that contribute to reducing CO2 emissions are of great importance on the demand side, especially following the occupancy of condominiums and rental properties. On the other hand, from the perspective of residents, there are challenges such as not knowing specifically what to do and lacking motivation when it comes to decarbonization initiatives.
In December 2022, Mitsui Fudosan Residential, TEPCO Energy Partner, and Familynet Japan launched the Sus-Katsu Program with the aim of providing a future of residential and lifestyle abundance drawing on decarbonization initiatives, given these circumstances. Meanwhile, the latest addition of Tokyo Gas as a new participant in the Sus-Katsu Program will strengthen the program in terms of ensuring better recommendations and proposals when it comes to decarbonization initiatives related to gas as well as electricity. In addition, systems that enable more residents to enjoyably take part in decarbonization initiatives will be installed in individual units of Mitsui Fudosan Residential properties located in the Tokyo metropolitan area. These residents will be able to monitor CO2 emission and reduction volumes, and will be provided with support for set-up of systems for providing rewards particularly aligned with CO2 reduction volume. Also, Sumitomo Mitsui Banking will take part in the Sus-Katsu Program with the aim of serving as a business partner with its sights set on a low-carbon society and providing support for CO2 reduction efforts by its business partners across all industries. Specifically, Sumitomo Mitsui Banking will provide overall support for reducing CO2, such as facilitating co-creation of operations involving decarbonization, and offering rewards in the form of a tree-planting program to offset CO2 at travel destinations in collaboration with Furano Shizen Juku (Furano Nature School), as well as contribute to the development of this initiative by utilizing its expertise as a comprehensive financial group.
< Role of Mitsui Fudosan Residential >
- Comprehensive planning and operation of the Sustainable Living Program
< Role of TEPCO Energy Partner >
- Supervision and proposals regarding decarbonization initiatives related to electricity consumption
< Role of Familynet Japan >
- Development of system (tentative name: Sus-Katsu app) that enables visual monitoring of CO2 emission and reduction volumes, etc. at individual residential units and for providing rewards particularly aligned with CO2 reduction volume (system to be installed in Mitsui Fudosan Residential properties located in the Tokyo metropolitan area)
< Role of Tokyo Gas >
- Supervision and proposals regarding decarbonization initiatives related to gas consumption
- Support for development of system for visually monitoring CO2 emissions associated with gas consumption using the Sus-Katsu app
< Role of Sumitomo Mitsui Banking >
- Overall support that includes co-creation of operations involving decarbonization enlisting expertise as a member of a comprehensive financial group
２．Sus-Katsu Summer 2023 will be held as the second campaign of the Sustainable Living Program. This will entail offering participants attractive rewards and experiences enlisting various partners that include TOKYO UNITE, Shiki Theatre Company, ANA Akindo, and Tokyo Dome Hotel.
Sus-Katsu Summer 2023 will be carried out as the second campaign of the Sustainable Living Program amid the likelihood of tight power supply constraints this summer. The time frame of the Sus-Katsu Summer 2023 campaign encompasses the approximately two months from June 23, 2023, until August 31, 2023. During that time, plans call for seeking a wide range of participants in hopes of making it possible for many people to experience the Sus-Katsu Program.
< Sus-Katsu Summer 2023 >
- The Sus-Katsu List with options for home-based decarbonization initiatives has been prepared.。 The Sus-Katsu List has been made available via a website specifically for the Sus-Katsu Program and will also be distributed at events enlisting Mitsui Housing Loop members and TOKYO UNITE participating teams.
- Mitsui Fudosan Residential will seek applicants to take photos depicting the sustainability efforts they have implemented from among the options presented in the Sus-Katsu List as a means of providing information about decarbonization activities during the time frame. Mitsui Fudosan Residential will then hold a drawing encompassing special rewards and experiences offered by various entities that include TOKYO UNITE, Shiki Theatre Company, ANA Akindo, and Tokyo Dome Hotel.
< Examples of rewards >
Going forward, Mitsui Fudosan Residential aims to build a framework for encouraging even more of its customers to take part in the Sus-Katsu Program by seeking more extensive collaboration and cooperation with partner companies and organizations that endorse the objectives of the Sus-Katsu Program.
３．Sus-Katsu Festival events will be concurrently held to promote decarbonization initiatives with respect to those living in its existing properties.
Mitsui Fudosan Residential will concurrently hold Sus-Katsu Festival events leveraging community-building support activities and venues subject to Mitsui Fudosan Residential Group’s efforts thus far. It will hold these events to encourage decarbonization combined with food and entertainment at locations close to home with the aims of encouraging condominium residents to take part in decarbonization initiatives, creating an environment that makes it easy for people to apply to the Sus-Katsu Summer 2023 campaign, as well as facilitating and promoting changes in behavior when it comes to decarbonization initiatives for the approximately 240,000 residents of its existing properties.
- 1 The Sustainable Living Program (“Sus-Katsu Program”) serves as an initiative for bolstering decarbonization efforts as part of people’s daily lives by urging people to take part in such efforts and making appealing rewards and other such incentives available to program participants. According to Japan’s Ministry of the Environment, the residential sector accounted for approximately 15% of the nation’s CO2 emissions during fiscal 2021, which highlights the importance of reducing CO2 emissions from households when it comes to achieving a low-carbon society. Meanwhile, from the perspective of residents, there are challenges such as not knowing specifically what they should do. With this situation in mind, Mitsui Fudosan Residential is engaging in the Sus-Katsu Program in hopes of helping to reduce CO2 emissions in the residential sector by establishing a framework for bolstering decarbonization initiatives enlisting efforts of Sus-Katsu Program partners, and by underpinning decarbonization initiatives that are personalized as well as enjoyable and capable of being sustained on an ongoing basis by offering participants special experiences and products through affiliated partners who have endorsed the program.
- 2 The systems are to be successively installed in condominiums located in the Tokyo metropolitan area for which planning commenced in fiscal 2022.
- 3 TOKYO UNITE is a social innovation and mutual marketing project aimed at creating new value by extending beyond the boundaries of competition in collaboration with 14 sports franchises situated is Tokyo, based on a mission of creating more sports opportunities for children by hosting a variety of events.
Further details: https://www.tokyo-unite.jp/
- 4 Figure represents the number of units sold from the year 1984 onward, prior to considering shares of joint ventures.
*The initiatives covered in this press release are contributing to three of the UN’s SDGs.
|Affordable and Clean Energy
|Sustainable Cities and Communities